Start tutorial with question on board. Brain storm information in tutorial to share as many ‘facts’ as possible.
- Lead discussion about ways to answer question, encourage diversity of responses.
- Pause, and recap importance of structure and construction of essays. Ask them to reflect on what makes a good essay in groups of 4.
- Give them 10 minutes to write an introduction, answering question on board (anonymously).
- Collect, mix introductions, and distribute back to groups of 4.
- Ask them to read and decide best introduction.
- Lead discussion on ‘what makes a good introduction’. How does that reflect their earlier thoughts on ‘what makes a good essay?