Theories around awareness rising. Take a controversial issue e.g. Issue: Asylum seeker refugees should not be allowed into Australia?
1. Ask students to place themselves on a line depending on where they stand on an issue strongly disagreestrongly agree.
2. Students at the extreme ends take a few minutes to develop their position using a sociological perspective.
3. The students that strongly agreed with the statement present their argument to the class.
4. The students that strongly disagreed with the statement present their argument to the class
5. The class votes on which argument was the most persuasive.
6. An extension of the activity is to ask if students want to change where they stand on the line