Give every student a red card and a green card. Red = populares; Green = optimate
- Present a narrative of the career of Gaius Marius based heavily on extracts from the life of Plutarch.
- At key points in the career, stop and ask students to hold up a card to identify Marius’ political allegiance.
- Discuss Plutarah’s sources and introduce other ancient source material that informs our view.
- Stop and ask what impact Plutarch’s sources might have had.
- Discuss Plutarch’s rationale in writing. Stop and ask what impact that might have had.
- Ask students whether willing to make a final judgement on Marius. Give their sources. Why or why not?